Thanks to all the hard work from our contributors, Lubuntu 21.04 has been released. With the codename Hirsute Hippo, Lubuntu 21.04 is the 20th release of Lubuntu, the sixth release of Lubuntu with LXQt as the default desktop environment.
Lubuntu 21.04 will be supported until January 2022. Our main focus will be on this and future releases.
Lubuntu 20.04 LTS will be supported until April 2023. For 20.04 LTS, we are limiting changes to critical fixes and underlying system changes shipped with all other Ubuntu flavors.
What is Lubuntu?
Lubuntu is an official Ubuntu flavor which uses the Lightweight Qt Desktop Environment (LXQt). The project’s goal is to provide a lightweight yet functional Linux distribution based on a rock-solid Ubuntu base. Lubuntu provides a simple but modern and powerful graphical user interface, and comes with a wide variety of applications so you can browse, email, chat, play, and be productive.
You can find the following major applications and toolkits installed by default in this release:
- LXQt 0.16.0 – with many improvements over 0.15, you can go here for more information.
- LXQt Archiver 0.3.0 which is based on Engrampa, is now included.
- Qt 5.15.2
- Mozilla Firefox 87.0, which will receive updates from the Ubuntu Security Team throughout the support cycle of the release.
- The LibreOffice 7.1.2 suite.
- VLC 3.0.12, for viewing media and listening to music.
- Featherpad 0.17.1, for notes and code editing.
- Discover Software Center 5.21.4, for an easy, graphical way to install and update software.
Our update notifier application received an update. The new update adds the packages and versions to the tree view to see the pending updates better. In addition, Update Notifier now has a separate tree view for security updates. Update Notifier was developed by Lubuntu Member Hans Möller. Update Notifier also lets you update your system from within the application itself.
You can find a variety of other applications installed which aim to enhance your experience while staying out of the way of your normal workflow.