I’d like to thank to the people who downloaded the distro, because now Lubuntu hits the list with an incredible 7th score position! (see that on DistroWatch). And of course, I’d like to thank the Lubuntu crew for their wonderful job done with this release, and that’s why Canonical decided to “adopt us” in the Ubuntu family, for those well-done things and a never-ending illusion. You’re the best!
As Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot has been released, and new bunch of marketing pieces should appear along the release. So here they are: a brand new CD cover wallet, a disc imprint and a Lightscribe one. You can download them all at the marketing wiki page (search for the 11.10 version).
Another release of ZevenOS, the Minimal Edition, that ships LXDE environment. Codenamed “Next Generation”, this version comes with LXDE (obviously), PCManFM (along with LXDE), Viewnior, Iceweasel, Icedove, Gnome-Mplayer and Deadbeef. More information and downloads here.
Finally, the long awaited release is here. Notes from Julien Lavergne, the Lubuntu team leader:
- ISOs are now build with Ubuntu official build system
- alternate ISOs are available
- many updates from LXDE (most components had official releases)
- build with recommended packages by default
- use recommends instead of depends for most of components of lubuntu-desktop meta-package
- register correctly LXDE as a desktop environment by xdg tools
- switch to xfce4-power-manager for power management
- add a microblog client: pidgin-microblog
- new theme made by Rafael Laguna
The release notes, with a list of known problems are available here. You can find information on how to report bug on this wiki page. Also check out the Lubuntu website, the documentation, the LXDE website and the official announcement.
You can grab it at the usual Downloads page.